Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Heart Graphic Novels

On the ALSC Blog today a School Librarian from NY talks about how her most circulated titles this past school year have all been graphic novels.  As a School Librarian who avidly reads graphic novels, I am so pleased to hear this.  Today's comic book is a more respected creature.  Memoirs, Non-Fiction, Biographies, Historical Fiction, Classics, Fantasy, YOU NAME IT- it can be found in Graphic Novel form.  My 11 year old daughter has two reading goals this summer: 1. Finish as many of the classics as she can and, 2. Complete Jeff Smith's Bone Series.  Hesistant readers, excellent readers, avid readers, dabbling readers- graphic novels appear to everyone.  Educators, if you want to better understand how to use Graphic Novels as a way to support literacy, visit Dr. Katie Monnin's Blog, Teaching Graphic Novels.  Katie is the one who inspired me to take up this literary format and I have been deeply enriched by the titles I have read.  My favorite publisher for early reader graphic novels is TOON Books.  My 6 year old son and I love to read Patrick books and Benny and Penny.


Benny and Penny in the Toy BreakerBenny and Penny in the Toy Breaker by Geoffrey Hayes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Patrick in A Teddy Bear's Picnic and other stories (Toon)Patrick in A Teddy Bear's Picnic and other stories by Geoffrey Hayes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






For older elementary school children there are so many favorites: Babymouse; Owly; TinTin; and even classics like The Smurfs!

The Smurfs #1: The Purple Smurf (The Smurfs Graphic Novels)The Smurfs #1: The Purple Smurf by Yvan Delporte
My rating: 4 of 5 stars







So...definitely make Graphic Novels part of your child's summer reading experience.  They will devour the stories and get turned on to reading.  (...and have a lot of fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment