Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sharon Draper's Out of My Mind

Out of My MindOut of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

Let me begin this review by saying that I did not read this book- my 11 year old daughter did.

I've been avoiding this book because I know it will make me cry.

Out of My Mind is on the Sunshine State Young Readers Award list for 6th-8th grade 2011. All I knew about it before my daughter read it was that it was a sad story about a girl with a disability. I tend to avoid books that have the power to hurt me...or, let's say, I put them off for a while. My daughter was 7 pages into this book when I knew I would have to be mentally prepared before I ever picked it up. She said, "Mom, I am 7 pages into this book and already I am depressed."

However- the book called to her. She chose to remain glued to the couch reading instead of enjoying her summer freedom because she just had to read this book. She kept saying, "Mom, this book is so sad, but so good." At one point she came to me and said, "This book is making me so angry."

When she was done reading, I could see that the ending wasn't "and they all lived happily ever after." My daughter was both frustrated and enamored with the story. Reading this book affected her emotionally, physically, intellectually. She was engaged in some deep thinking and evolving. Draper's words really reached her-waking up an empathy and humanistic fire in her.

I will read this book- one day...soon. The book is obviously powerful. I just wanted to share with you my daughter's journey through these pages to demonstrate the effect a good book can have on a child. Reading truly enriches the psyche.


No comments:

Post a Comment