Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jeremy Tankard!!!

Today was my last day working at the public library and what a treat it was!

Children's Librarian J.F. Sanborn and Author/Illustrator Jeremy Tankard


Jeremy Tankard visited us to present the story behind his success and show us a demonstration of how he illustrates his phenomenal books.  He then signed all of our personal copies!  It was lovely to meet him!

Jeremy Tankard signs my copy of Grumpy Bird

Jeremy talked about his childhood and how reading was something that took him a long time to "make peace" with.  His parents, two highly academic people, were concerned about their son's struggle with school.  It wasn't until an intuitive 2nd grade teacher told Jeremy that he didn't have to like reading, he just had to be able to read, that Jeremy began to break down his wall.   Though he was only seven years old, he loved to tell stories through his drawings.  He would create books of his own, using marker-drawn images and a few words.  His love of storytelling through art followed him to University and he went to art school in Canada.  Today, he is an accomplished artist, a writer, and a person who loves reading!   It warms my librarian heart! Jeremy Tankard has certainly created some wonderful stories that inspire little ones to crack open a book and a crack a smile:

Grumpy BirdGrumpy Bird by Jeremy Tankard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is one of my favorite books to read with my children! I use different voices to animate each character and we always end up laughing together.

Bird is having a rough day and he wants nothing to do with playing! He certainly has no interest in flying! He decides to go for a walk to blow off some steam. His friends encounter him throughout his walk- but bird isn't interested in hanging out with them. Sometimes, however, our friends are just what we need to remind us of reasons to have fun!

Jeremy Tankard's illustrations are a gorgeous complement to his sweet, simple writing style. This book is an instant classic!

View all my reviews Boo Hoo BirdBoo Hoo Bird by Jeremy Tankard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Follow Bird on another adventure!  Did you ever have a child milk a boo-boo for all the attention it's worth?  When Bird gets bonked on the noggin by a ball, not even a cookie         can dry his tears!  What can his friends do to make him feel better?  



View all my reviews Me Hungry!Me Hungry! by Jeremy Tankard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What is a cave-boy to do when his mama and papa are too busy to feed him? HE HUNT! Well- that isn't as easy as it sounds! When the animals are too sneaky or dangerous to get a spear into, Tankard's little cave-boy has to find a new approach to filling his belly.



I can't think of a better way to spend my final day at my beloved public library than meeting one of my favorite author/illustrators!   Thank you for coming to see us, Jeremy!




No comments:

Post a Comment