CRAAP TEST for Web Evaluation
Use the websites below to do this activity:
It might or might not be a hoax. If it isn't, does it look like a good site to learn about chickens?
Is this a REAL environmental site? Does the information seem accurate? Would you use this site for a paper about the environment?
Do you trust this site? Is the authority strong? Would you want to get your news from here?
Would you trust the people who run this site to know anything about science?
Would this site help you to learn about history? Are these toys safe? Would your parents like you to have these figurines? Does the authority seem strong?
Would you like to attend this art school? Does the school seem to have an expertise in art? Would you trust the authority of this site?
Performing Arts School
Would you want to attend this performing arts school? Does it seem credible? Who works for this organization? Do they have strong credentials?
USE THE C.R.A.A.P Method to evaluate these websites. Each source should be tested with these questions. Have fun!
Name of Website: _______________________________________________
Currency: The timeliness of the information.
1. What is the copyright date of the website, if given? ____________
2. Does the layout of the site look modern to you? ____________
Relevance: The importance of the information for your needs.
3. Who is this site supposed to be for? ______________________
4. Would this be a good site for research? _____________________________
Authority: The source of the information.
5. Who is the author, editor, or organization responsible for this website? ______________________
6. What is their title or education, if given? Are they experts? _________________________________
7. What is their contact information, if given? ________________________________
8. What is the domain extension (.com; .org; .edu)? ____________
Accuracy: The reliability, truthfulness and correctness of the content.
9. Do they list any sources they used? ___________
10. What other organizations support the information, if any? ________________
11. Does the language or tone seem unbiased and free of emotion? _____________
12. Does the site look professional to you? ____________
13. Does the information seem believable? ______________
Purpose: The reason the information exists.
14. Is this site trying to sell you something? Inform you of something?
Entertain you? Persuade you of something? Teach you? ________________________
15. Explain your answer: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
16. Are there any opinions stated? ______________________
17. Is the language professional or emotional? ________________________
Rate this source:
18. Out of 5 stars, how many stars would you give this source as a credible source for research? _________________The C.R.A.A.P. Test was created by California State University at Chico