Sunday, October 5, 2014

To Kill a MockingbirdTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is, quite possibly, the best book I ever read. I listened to it, this time, in a phenomenal audiobook production starring Sissy Spacek. If you aren't a Southern American and have never spent anytime in the South, this novel will enlighten you as to the horrible complexities of post-emancipation racism. However, Lee also deals with the big picture, ambiguous complexities of right and wrong, and good and evil as applies to humanity in general. Scout is perhaps the most well-developed character I have ever met and the novel suffers not a bit at being told from a child's perspective. In fact, it is her innocence that makes the realities presented in this work so stark, and so meaningful. No American should leave this world without having read this novel.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment