Sunday, March 15, 2015

Guardian of Tarnec, Book One, Lark Rising

Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)Lark Rising by Sandra Waugh

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Sandra Waugh's debut novel, Lark Rising, is a typical story of good versus evil, light versus dark. It is like a simplified Tolkien story complete with little people, a quest, and magical artifacts that impact the balance of the world. That being said, I found myself missing Lark and her companions when I wasn't reading their story. 

While I feel as if it is the kind of tale that has been told before, there was enough about it that was unique and endearing to keep me glued to the story. Waugh's writing is warm, full of imagery, and more approachable for teens than Tolkien and other adult fantasy series. Her characters are lovable, if a bit predictable. 

For those who love a good fantasy tale, Lark Rising beautifully fits the bill. I am looking forward to the books that follow.

Suggested for ages 11+.




No comments:

Post a Comment