Friday, July 15, 2016

The Raven King

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



The Raven King is the 4th and final installation of Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle.

Rarely do I read a book that pulls me in so completely. If you told me I could pack my things and move in to 300 Fox Way, I wouldn't hesitate. If only such a world could be: Psychics that actually have ability; land that actually thrums with magickal energy; everyday people who can Scry, manifest dream objects, or command magickal entities with intentional thought! I am smitten with the world of the Raven Cycle.

The characters of this series are intoxicating.  Blue Sargent is one of my favorite female protagonists. She is strong, relatively secure, and layered. She loves without sacrificing her identity. She is loyal and just. All of the Raven Boys have my heart: Gansey for honoring his truth, Adam for his willingness to evolve, Ronan for his bravery to love in the face of so much loss, and Noah for holding on to life with all that is left in him. Even Henry, a recent addition to the crew, has charmed me with his honest search for friendship. What I love best about the characters is that they can ebb and flow between good and evil- sometimes landing firmly on one side or the other- but usually choosing which side of the spectrum to be closest to through their choices. Even those who have done unspeakable things can find redemption.

What is this series about? You could say it is about the quest to find an ancient Welsh King. You could say it is about magic and curses and destiny. You could say it is about romance and friendship, betrayal and forgiveness, growth and maturity. But ultimately, it is about
manifesting your dreams.

The Raven Cycle is about being true to your core whether that means to defy expectations and chase your destiny...to survive abuse with the strength to strive for success...to allow yourself to love despite the cruelty of the world...or to face what you are given in life and not be afraid to demand more.


Keep dreaming, Maggie Stiefvater, your work is enchanting!

Recommended for ages 13+.

No comments:

Post a Comment